Genealogy for the Rossville, Kansas area, compiled by the Rossville Community Library.
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

Estel Kindred Banks

Male - 1950

Personal Information    |    Media    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Estel Kindred Banks 
    • Also spelled Estle and Eskel.
    Gender Male 
    Died 10 May 1950  Charleston, Mississippi County, Missouri Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I1977  Rossville
    Last Modified 26 Nov 2019 

    Family Virginia May Marney Banks,   b. 31 May 1925,   d. 10 May 1950, Charleston, Mississippi County, Missouri Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 24 years) 
     1. Edward Howard Banks
    +2. Estelle Banks Thompson Theel
    Last Modified 29 Jul 2014 16:03:36 
    Family ID F508  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Documents
    Obituary- Banks, Estel and Virginia 1
    Obituary- Banks, Estel and Virginia 1
    Tragic News To A Rossville Family
    Mr. and Mrs. Howard Marney and sons Gifford and James Marney and their families left today for Charleston, Mo, called by the death of a daughter, Mrs. Virginia Banks, 25, the serious injury of another daughter, Mrs. Zelma Watson, 22, and the death of sons-in-law, Estle Banks and Don Watson.

    Estel Banks, shot and killed his wife, Virginia, his brother-in-law Dan Watson, seriously injured Zelma Watson and then killed himself in a fit of rage.

    All the victims are well known in this community, where the Marney girls were born, and in the Willard Community
    As we go to press all the details are not known.

    The shooting took place about 7:30 Wednesday evening, according to Howard Marney, the father. His last word last night about 11 o’clock was that Zelma Watson still was alive.

    THURSDAY, MAY 18, 1959
    (From Charleston, Mo., Democrat) Eskel Kindred Banks, 36, formerly of Charleston and now residing in St. Louis, returned here early Wednesday evening and shot his estranged wife, Virginia, 24; Dan Watson, 35; Zelma Watson 22 and before officers could capture him turned his small 25 caliber automatic on himself inflicting a mortal wound all in the presence of their two small children.

    Banks and his wife had separated numerous times and she had returned to Charleston each time with their two children, Edward Howard Banks, 8 and Estelle Banks, 5.

    Several weeks ago after receiving a severe beating at the hands of Banks she called her sister, Mrs. Dan Watson and who with her husband drove to St. Louis and brought Mrs. Banks and children to the Watson home here at 503 South First Street
    During the past two weeks Banks 'had called his wife here several times and tried to effect a reconciliation but without success. He finally called her and stated that he would see that she never got a divorce threatening violence. When this foiled he called Mrs. Dan Watson and threatened her stating that in his Opinion that the Watson’s were responsible for separation and threatened to do her and her husband bodily harm.

    Banks also called Cecil Watson, brother of the slain man and threatened him and his wife for what he thought was aiding his wife in their separation. Cecil Watson stated that a week ago Banks had called him saying, “I’m coming down to Charleston and you and I are going to settle this matter and it won’t be a fist fight.” Cecil stated that he, as well as Dan, had notified officers here of the threats in an effort to avert a possible tragedy.

    Last evening at 7:00 p. m. Banks came to the door of the Dan Watson home and his wife finally admitted him. Their small son noticed that he had a gun saying, “Daddy has a gun.” At this point Dan Watson came in and told Banks that if he had a gun to get out of the house. Banks and his wife then started to argue and he shot her as she sat in a chair in the heart. Dan Watson started out after help and his wife called Mrs. Cecil Watson on the phone and asked her to come over that they were having trouble. Before she could finish the conversation Banks turned on her shooting her in the hip. Banks then went out the front door to catch Dan who went out the back of the house and shot him just as he was leaving the porch.

    Banks then started towards the home of Cecil Watson, some three blocks away apparently intent on killing them. In the meanwhile Mrs. Cecil Watson had called Sheriff J.E. Scott and city officers. Cecil Watson took his gun and started towards the Dan Watson home. Neighbors had also called officers as well as physicians who arrived at the home when Banks was only a short distance from the scene of the shooting. Rather than surrender he shot himself in the heart.

    By the time Joe Nunnels arrived with the ambulance Mrs. Banks had died as well as Mr. Watson. Banks and Mrs. Watson were taken to the St. Mary’s hospital in Cairo Ill., but Banks died of his injury while on the way. Mrs. Watson was suffering from a bullet wound in the hip and doctors operated on her immediately. Her condition this morning was given as not serious. While it is not known how Banks got to town a stub was found in his pocket showing that he had traveled from St. Louis to Sikeston by bus. A pad of matches also found in his pocket carried the name of a Sikeston restaurant. He apparently had hitchhiked the balance of the distance to Charleston.

    CARD OF THANKS- We want to thank the friends and relatives for their messages of sympathy to us over the tragedy in our family and for all favors shown us.
    Mr. and Mrs. Howard Marney

    Obituary- Banks, Estel and Virginia 2
    Obituary- Banks, Estel and Virginia 2
    See Obituary- Banks, Estel and Virginia 1 for full transcription.